Find us on Google+ "These Chickens Really Earn Their Keep" and a Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe | DIVERSE CULTURAL AND INDONESIA VACATION SPOTS

"These Chickens Really Earn Their Keep" and a Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe

type='html'>



Today is a day to celebrate chickens! For the first time ever, our hens laid enough eggs to buy their own organic chicken feed! This is a long standing goal realized. Thank you Briar Rose, Concha, Goldberry, Vulture, Greedy....... and thank you Nikki (my awesome egg customer)! These hens will be partying down and feasting on a gourmet dinner of dandelion greens tonight!





In honor of this occasion, I am going to share a yummy homemade mayonnaise recipe I made this week from our lovely farm fresh eggs out of the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I had never made mayo before, and after seeing how easy and good it was, I will never have to buy mayonnaise again!





Homemade Mayonnaise
(makes 1 1/2 cups)

1 whole egg at room temperature
1 egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp Dijon-type mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp whey (optional)
3/4 - 1 cup olive oil
pinch of sea salt

In your food processor, place eggs, mustard, salt, lemon juice, and optional whey. Process about 30 seconds. Using the attachment that adds liquids drop by drop, slowly add olive oil while blending. Taste and adjust seasoning. You can add more salt or lemon juice. If you added whey, let sit well covered at room temperature for 7 hours before refrigerating. Keeps 2 weeks with no whey and several months with whey.

A note: My friend, Jeana, gave me the idea to try this recipe, and I was a little skeptical at first of the idea of lacto-fermenting mayonnaise. Fermented and mayonnaise are not generally two things I want to think of together. Then I read how the whey helps it last longer, adds enzymes, and increases nutrient content. I decided to give it a whirl. I concluded that it doesn't taste any different than the mayonnaise I'm used to, and in fact, it tasted better. We've been putting it on sandwiches, in egg salad, and fruit salad. Delicious!

Blog, Updated at: 8:14 PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment