Find us on Google+ Of Love, Dreams and Old Farmhouses | DIVERSE CULTURAL AND INDONESIA VACATION SPOTS

Of Love, Dreams and Old Farmhouses

type='html'>


"Just an old house with the roof fallin' in

Standin' at the edge of the field

Watching the crops grow like its always done before

Nobody lives here anymore

....

Old memories come whistling like the wind

Through the walls and the cracked windowpanes

And the grass is growing high around the kitchen door

Nobody lives here anymore


Once there were children and few hired hands

A hard working woman and a bone tired man

Now that old sun steals across a dusty floor

Nobody lives here anymore."

-Kate Wolf

There is something intriguingly beautiful about old farmhouses. They stand silently, yet speak volumes. I saw this one on a camping trip near John Day in Eastern Oregon, and it was love at first sight. Something about its form, the curving trim pieces, the bay windows, the front porch and balcony caught my fancy. I can't say that I had ever really noticed them before, or paid them much mind, but from that day on, I saw beautiful old farmhouses on every country road I travelled. Whether they were renovated and polished, ramshackled and run down, or abandoned and falling apart altogether, I loved them all. I wanted one of my own.
The term "dream house" likely evokes a sprawling mansion or palatial structure with waterfront views for many of us. Not for this girl. The older the vintage, the more ornate the Victorian trim, the better. Someday, I dream of renovating an early 1900's classic Victorian farmhouse nestled in a secluded little valley tucked away in the hills. It would have an old barn, an orchard, and a creek too. That would be my dream house, or dream homestead if you will. My current home is truly a happy medium. It's a sturdy, solid 1930's farmhouse with a front porch, an old pantry, built in cabinets, all the trim, and a couple of old fruit trees. I love living here and see it as a step in the right direction. In the winter, when it rains, we even almost have a creek!

I think it's important to find what you love in the world and build your dreams around it. I find that life can be pretty aimless when I'm not following a dream. It seems like times spent wandering around trying to figure out what exactly we want out of life can be plentiful. Sometimes we seek through trial and error to find what it is that we really love. Other times, it just strikes us out of the blue, like this old farmhouse standing out in a field.

Blog, Updated at: 8:16 PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment